Thursday, October 16, 2008

Playing Our Part

Today has been fantastic! My house mate Jonathan delivered his first baby (he's a medical student); I met up with some good friends; listened to an awesome lecture on African Economics and did my fare share of study. That means free time to blog - WOOT!

I was reading Matthew 7:7-8 one day, it says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

What hit me was not the asking, but rather the seeking and knocking part. I realized a lot of times we ask God for something but really don't set about looking for a solution or knocking on the doors. Sometimes we just wait and expect things fall onto our laps. I believe in the natural and the supernatural right? God does His part and He WILL perform miracles but I think we also need to do out part in the natural. We need to do the seeking and knocking as well.

My housemates and I (4 of us) are currently looking for a house to move in to next year. Now, imagine us going "God, please give us a place to stay!" and then just wait for a house to miraculously find us! We're praying (believe me =D) but we're looking online for the house, we're asking around, we're going to go for the inspections and we're talking to people - we're putting in the action.

Maybe we should start to include "Lord, teach me how to help me friend" in our prayers instead of just "Lord, help my friend". Let's learn to take action and partner with God in this journey. God is good and He will not disappoint us, but i was just reminded how important it for us not to be lazy too.

JC.


No comments: