Thursday, July 31, 2008

Love At a Distance

My friend Trili told me last night that she always gets her revelations in the shower, as in like enlightenment.

I totally agreed.

Today, it happened again! U know what i realized? In the shower. I realized (at least for myself) that it's actually quite hard to love people that are really close to me. Realize how easy it is to "love" and have "compassion" for the people in Africa but hate you little brother? By people close to me i actually mean people that know me inside out, people that know my faults, my past, my REAL me. Not the me everyone that I'm nice to knows, but the me when I'm sulky, when I'm moody, when I'm bad. I use to think that I'd have to go through the whole awkward stage when they'll say, "What's the matter with you? Why are you suddenly so nice to me?"

Ok for me, that's awkward.

But this is the deal. For people that I hardly know, people that I watch from the tram stop, people that aren't exactly close friends - I find it easier to "love" and be "nice" to. And i was thinking about it, about myself. Know what I realized? Of course it's easier!! OF COURSE!! It dawned upon me like a warm shower on a winter morning. ;)!

It's easy to love at a distance because we can FAKE IT.

Well, there's really no responsibility. We hardly come into contact with them, we don't really have to care for their problems. We don't have to bear their burdens, we don't have to be patient with them. We don't have to clean up their mess, we don't have to SACRIFICE anything for them. All we do is just have a nice feeling about them. That's not love! That's faking it. The Bible tells us not to love with hypocrisy. In other words, if we think we can love the people in Africa, we'd better start loving those around us.

SO RANDOM YET SO GOOD!

love (the irony),
JC.

1 comment:

dmr said...

well you can always call it 'Temporary Love' and yea... anything that is temporary is more bearable than those we have to commit to...

Example, its so easy to volunteer for a 'gotong-royong' than to volunteer to help your mum mop/sweep/wash etc.... hehe...

-need not elaborate-

anyways How are you?? haha... i went back to Taylors the other day, missed it alot... although when i stepped foot onto SS15, i felt stress for some reason... associated that area with stress man...! hahaha.. oh ya, Ms Shoba said she's no longer in Taylors.. WOOT!!!