Monday, June 23, 2008

Me, Myself and (fill in the blank)

We live in a world where most of us are wired to think of me, me me & me. Oh no, I feel so bored! I feel tired! Doesn't anyone care about how I feel? Don't I matter? What about me? Me? ME?

Honestly, whenever I find myself falling into that sort of attitude I realize I am the most miserable person around. It's not because I am miserable, it's just because my thinking has made me think I am. And why? Because the focus is on me. Now, what's the problem with that? Ok Ok. Hear me out. Let me try to make some sense of this.

Jesus was asked how we were to inherit eternal life. His reply, "You shall love the Lord you God with all you heart, soul, strength & mind." Then He continues, "To love you neighbor as yourself." Love God and the people around us. It doesn't say love yourself and live, we are told to direct our love to others.

In Mark 8:35 it says, "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me & for the gospel will save it."

I think what I've learned and the point that I getting at here is that when we start living out of sincere, action-filled love for God and for others around us we finally start to..well - live. This is what I've noticed, one of the best ways to get over our self pity is actually to give our love and help to someone else. It's as if we were made to function that way, and when we start functioning in a self-centered way we don't feel like we're fulfilled. I realize it in so many scenarios. Maybe that's why so many of the rich & famous are not happy despite riches and indulgences. Maybe that's why some of them be come philanthropists after - to live more like what we're made for - God and each other. You know how it feels so much better & fulfilling to give than to receive? Cause it's about another person being blessed, about being able to sow into someone's life!

The best way to help your problem is to help someone else.

See, it makes sense! The Bible makes sense on this one! It's the way a Creator has made us! That's how He is like - He gave His life for us to live!

JC.

No comments: